Last Updated on January 18, 2024 by Amanda P. Brown
Baingan/ eggplant is a popular vegetable for different cuisines. In India, Baingan ka salan recipe is an incredible baingan recipe. So, if you crave a spicy Indian bowl, you can meet with this recipe.
This article will give you a traditional and quick Hyderabadi Baingan ka salan recipe. Moreover, you can try the 7 popular Baingan salan Recipes twists below. And some luscious pairing dish ideas like fluffy cumin rice, cooling raita, or fiery pickled vegetables. They will ensure a fulfilling meal.
So, let’s scroll and grab different baingan salan recipes from the classic Hyderabadi to the creamy Shahi.
How to Make Hyderabadi Baingan Ka Salan?
Table of Contents
Baingan ka salan hyderabadi is a popular Indian dish from the Hyderabadi cuisine. It is a curry made with baingan (eggplant or brinjal) known for its rich, tangy, and slightly spicy flavor profile.
Pan-fried or deep-fried till golden brown, the eggplant is then cooked in a rich and aromatic stew mixed with sesame seeds, peanuts, coconut, tamarind, and different spices.
The result is a delicious and textured hyderabadi baingan ka salan. It goes great with fragrant rice or bread rice like naan or roti.
- 5/6 – Brinjal (Small)
- 2 – Cloves
- 1/2 inch – Cinnamon Stick
- 3/4 tbsp – Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tbsp – Cumin seeds
- 3/4 tbsp – Cumin powder
- 2 – Elaichi Green(Cardamom)
- 1/2 tsp – Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp – Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp – Dry coconut powder
- 1/2 – green chili
- 1 tsp – mustard seeds
- 1 Cup – groundnuts/Peanuts
- 3 tbsp – sesame seeds
- 50 ml – Tamarind Juice
- 2 tbsp – oil
- 3 Cup – Water
- 1 Onion – Chopped finely
- 8-10 – curry leaves
- 1 – Bay leaf
- a small piece of mace
- 1 tbsp – Jaggery powder (Gud )
- 1/4 tsp – Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp – Red chili powder
- 1 tbsp – Fenugreek Seeds
- Dry fry the peanuts on low to medium heat until fragrant and the skin becomes red. You can roast it with oil or without oil.
- Dry toast the sesame seeds and powdered coconut in the same pan over low heat.
- When finished, turn it off and leave it to cool.
- When the masala mixture has cooled, coarsely crush it and keep it aside. Meanwhile, clean and dry the brinjal.
- Make a cross cut on everything, leaving the stem intact.
- 1 tbsp oil in a pan, then include the brinjal. Cook over medium heat, rotating occasionally, until they are tender and the skin is loosening somewhat. (Approximately 10 minutes.) You can deep fry brinjal also.
- Include the remaining one tbsp oil in the same bowl.
- When the oil is hot, add the garam masalas, which include cloves, cinnamon sticks, mace, cardamom, and bay leaf.
- Then, include the cumin, mustard, and fenugreek seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add the curry leaves, onion, and asafoetida when they begin to sputter.
- When the onion has become translucent, add the garlic and ginger paste.
- First, you need to pour 1/4 cup water. Then, include powdered turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, and chopped green chilies. Now, just cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the dry peanut and 2 1/2 cup water.
- Allow it to boil on medium heat, stirring occasionally, as it will tend to stick from the bottom.
- Once the water begins to boil, include tamarind juice, jaggery powder, and salt to taste.
- Allow it to a boil, then add the brinjals after the oil oozes out (10 minutes).
- Adjust the gravy’s consistency to your liking.
- Allow the gravy to simmer for around 10-15 minutes.
- Now, it’s ready to grab.
Nutrition Facts of Baingan Ka Salan (Per Serving)
7 Popular Baingan Salan Recipes
Below 7 Baingan salan Recipes will enhance your dining experience. Try these different flavors and tasty delicacies to fulfill your appetite and heart.
1. Stuffed Baingan Ka Salan
Stuffed Baingan Ka Salan is a delectable Indian dish featuring small eggplants filled with a spiced mixture. These stuffed delights are cooked in a rich curry with peanuts, sesame seeds, and tamarind, creating a symphony of flavors.
Served with rice or bread, this dish showcases the art of blending spices for a delightful culinary experience.
2. Dahi Baingan
Dahi Baingan is a flavorful Indian dish. Here, Eggplants (baingan) are cooked in a spiced yogurt-based curry. The eggplants are typically sliced or cubed and then simmered in a mixture of yogurt and spices.
The yogurt adds a creamy texture, while the spices add to the dish’s rich and aromatic flavor. Spices can include cumin, coriander, turmeric, and garam masala. Dahi Baingan is often served with rice or Indian bread. And make it a delicious and comforting meal.
3. Baingan Mirchi Ka Salan
Baingan Mirchi ka Salan is a Hyderabadi classic meal. This popular salan recipe involves eggplants/baingan and green chilies/mirchi cooked in a spicy peanut and sesame seed curry.
The recipe of baingan is a combo of great flavors of tangy tamarind, coconut, and aromatic spices. You can serve it commonly as a side with biryanis or rice. The meal combo will add a delicious touch to your meal.
4. Aloo Baingan Salan
Aloo Baingan Salan is a hearty Indian dish. This dish brings potatoes (aloo) and eggplants (baingan) together in a spiced curry known as salan.
The curry is usually made with a base of peanuts, sesame seeds, tamarind, and various spices. The addition of potatoes and eggplants creates a delicious and hearty combination.
Aloo Baingan Salan is often served with rice or Indian bread. Thus, they offer a satisfying and flavorful meal.
5. Achari Baingan Ka Salan
Achari Baingan Ka Salan is a tasty Indian dish with eggplants (baingan) cooked in a spiced curry flavored with pickling spices called achari.
The curry uses aromatic spices found in Indian pickles, like mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds, giving it a unique tangy flavor. This dish is often served with rice or Indian bread, offering a delightful and distinctive taste experience.
6. Shahi Baingan Salan
Shahi Baingan Salan is one of the rich and creamy Indian baingan dishes. It features eggplants (baingan) in a luxurious curry.
The term “Shahi” signifies this flavorful dish’s royal and luxurious nature. It’s made with cashews, cream, yogurt, and aromatic spices. These ingredients create a creamy sauce that coats the tender eggplants.
Enjoy Shahi Baingan Salan with rice or Indian bread for a delightful and indulgent dining experience.
7. Bagara Baingan
Baghara Baingan is a delicious Indian dish. Bagara baingan hyderabadi style is such a cherished dish. The dish features baby eggplants (baingan) cooked in a spiced and tempered curry. The term Baghara refers to the tempering process.
This bagara baingan recipe involves sautéing baby eggplants and then simmering them in a flavorful curry made with peanuts, sesame seeds, tamarind, and spices.
The recipe for bagara baingan is known for its unique taste and is typically enjoyed with rice or Indian bread.
What to Serve With Eggplant Curry/baingan Salan?
To boost your dining experience with baingan salan, you can try the pairing options below.
- Cumin Rice
Cumin rice is a tasty dish where the rice is cooked with cumin seeds and spices. You need to Sauté cumin seeds in oil and add rinsed rice, water, and salt. Simmer until tender. Fluff with a fork.
It has a warm and earthy flavor, making it a popular side dish in various cuisines. Especially in Indian and Middle Eastern, you will notice. Place some rice on a plate and top with the masala baingan salan recipe.
- Garlic Naan
Garlic naan is a sort of Indian bread that includes simple components such as flour, yogurt, and leavening agents. What distinguishes it is the use of minced garlic, which adds a wonderful garlic flavor to the bread.
To make Garlic Naan, you need to knead a dough with flour, yogurt, oil, and garlic. Then, Cook on a skillet and brush with butter. It’s typically baked in an oven or on a stovetop. So, you can try this method too.
After the Garlic Naan is ready, you can serve it with Baingan ka Salan. This will offer a satisfying meal.
Raita is a cool and creamy condiment from Indian cuisine. It’s made with yogurt, chopped veggies like cucumber or tomatoes, and herbs and spices. Cumin, salt, and sometimes chaat masala are added for extra flavor.
Raita is a refreshing side dish. It is often served chilled to balance the heat of spicy baingan salan. It provides a creamy and soothing contrast.
- Mixed Vegetable Pickle
Mixed vegetable pickle is a condiment where various vegetables, like carrots and cauliflower, are cut into small pieces.
They’re mixed with spices, including mustard seeds, turmeric, and chili powder, and preserved in oil. This pickle comes with a tart and spicy flavor. You can enjoy your spicy baingan salan and rice with one small portion of this pickle on a plate. Its spicy and tangy flavors enhance the overall taste of the meal.
Baingan ka Salan for biryani is a tasty side dish with eggplants. It’s a flavorful curry made with peanuts and spices, giving it a delicious and slightly spicy taste.
The creamy texture of the gravy and the tender eggplants make it a perfect match for biryani or any rice dish. This popular Indian dish adds richness to your meal. Especially when you want to enhance the taste of your biryani.
How to Make Baingan Masala Dhaba Style Quickly?
To make baingan masala dhaba style, follow the tips below.
- Sauté cumin seeds, mustard seeds, onions, and green chilies.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, tomatoes, and spices.
- Mix in chopped eggplants and cook until tender.
- Finish with kasuri methi for added flavor.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with roti or rice for an authentic Dhaba Style Baingan Masala.
Is Baingan Ka Salan a Spicy Dish?
Yes, Baingan ka Salan is generally a moderately spicy dish. The level of spiciness can be adjusted according to personal taste preferences by controlling the quantity of red chili powder and green chilies used in the recipe.
How to Store Baingan Ka Salan in Freezer ?
To store Baingan ka Salan in the freezer-
1. Cool it completely
2. Portion into airtight containers
3. Label with the date
4. Freeze promptly
5. Aiming to use it within 2-3 months for optimal freshness.
6. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating on the stove/microwave. Then serve it hot and enjoy.
Is Eggplant Good for Weight Loss?
Yes, eggplants are beneficial for weight loss. They are low in calories and high in fiber, promoting a feeling of fullness and reducing overall calorie intake. A cup of raw eggplant, weighing 82 grams, contains 3 grams of fiber and only 20 calories, making it a nutritious and weight-friendly food choice.
How Many Calories Are Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan Recipes?
Baghare baingan recipes’ calorie content varies based on ingredients and portions. On average, a 100-gram serving can range from 100 to 150 calories, depending on the recipe and cooking methods. For exact counts, consult a recipe. Or you can use a nutritional calculator according to your chosen components and proportions.
This article shares easy Baingan ka Salan recipes, including a traditional Hyderabadi version and 7 tasty variations. Moreover, It suggests popular sides like cumin rice, garlic naan, and raita to enhance the dining experience. You can try them at home and satisfy your craving for baingan with an Indian spices touch.
You May Also Like to Read:
- Exclusive Indian Camping Food Ideas
- Traditional Bengali Dal Recipe Ideas
- Traditional Bengali Food
- Brilliant Picnic Food Ideas Indian
- Delicious Bengali Fish Dishes