Last Updated on August 16, 2023 by Amanda P. Brown
Mugs are a vessel for holding various hot or cold beverages and come in a pleasing base for various situations, styles, and preferences. And these different types of mugs retain heat and taste differently depending on the Material used to produce them. Even the mugs can affect the flavor of the drink they contain.
However, if you are a coffee or tea lover and want to keep yourself hydrated or caffeinated, choosing a mug for your preferred beverage is crucial. Here, some mug options are included in your daily life, like keeping coffee warm on camping trips, cold mugs for the office, ceramic mugs for breakfast, expressing for personal style, and microwave-safe mugs for morning essentials.
Moreover, in this article, I have mentioned different types of coffee mugs based on Material, usage, features, design specialty, and handle base, along with their size, advantages, and disadvantages, which will improve your drinking experience.
39 Different Types of Mugs
Table of Contents
- Metal Mugs
- Glass coffee mugs
- Ceramic Coffee Mugs
- Porcelain Mugs
- Copper Mugs
- Corn plastic
- Acrylic or plastic coffee mugs
- Stainless steel coffee mugs
- Melamine coffee mugs
- Wheat Straw
- Stoneware coffee mugs
1. Metal Mugs
Metal mugs are cylindrical drinking containers popular for their lightness, durability, and Versatility. Additionally, these mugs are designed for different purposes, such as stainless steel, aluminum, or iron. However, suitable for outdoor use, they are also ideal for enjoying refreshing cold beverages.
Capacity: 300 ml
- Easily portable
- Metal mugs and microwaves do not mix.
- Alter the taste of the beverages.
2. Glass Coffee Mugs
Glass cups/mugs, like ceramic, are fashionable, attractive, and available in any clear or translucent color. Therefore, they are ideal for Long Island, Irish coffee, and dessert situations, as well as specialty brews and impressing guests while retaining heat. Moreover, glass also resists staining, saving you from scrubbing out coffee rings.
- Easily cleanable
- Aesthetically appealing
- Environmentally conscious Material
- Being considerably more delicate than other materials.
- Compared to other mug kinds, they do not retain heat as effectively.
3. Ceramic Coffee Mugs
Ceramic mugs, crafted from porcelain, earthenware, or stoneware, are slightly thicker, stronger, with a smooth exterior, and have an easy-to-grip handle.
In addition, they are durable and evenly heat-retaining, and Microwave and dishwasher-safe, which provides the perfect balance for both cold and hot beverages. Even these mugs are taste-neutral, with no aftertaste or smell, perfect for dinner parties or events.
Capacity: 240 to 350 ml (8to12 US fl oz; 8.3 to 12.5 imp fl oz) of liquid.
- Durability and long lifespan exist.
- Capable of retaining heat.
- Microwave or Microwave safe
- Reusable and eco-friendly
- Easy to clean and low maintenance.
- If not handled carefully, it could break, crack, or chip.
- Larger sizes are not able to retain heat effectively.
4. Porcelain Mugs
Porcelain mugs, often called china mugs, crafted from kaolin clay, come with a thin, non-porous, lightweight, and delicate construction. Known for their elegant, easy-to-handle, and timeless design, these mugs contribute to functions, weddings, or holiday parties as well as daily routines.
Moreover, without any lingering taste or smell, allowing you to enjoy your cold or hot drinks beverages effortlessly.
Capacity: About 8 cm tall to hold 250 ml, while large mugs are about 9.5 cm tall to hold about 400 ml.
- Highly resistant
- Easy to clean
- Daily use
- Resists flavor absorption
- Timeless and elegant design
- Lower heat retention than ceramic mugs.
- If dropped or misused, prone to cracking or chipping.
- Less suitable for outdoor activities or on-the-go drinking.
- Pricey compared to other mugs.
5. Copper Mugs
Copper mugs, non-corrosive and shiny drinking vessels manufactured from copper. Therefore, the thermal conductivity of copper preserves the taste and aroma by preventing drink acidity from eroding the interior. In addition, you will be provided with an ice-cold Moscow Mule drink to indulge in the refreshing pleasure.
Capacity: 16 to 20 ounces
- Durable Material
- Excellent for Cold beverage conductivity
- Keeps taste and aroma intact
- Inappropriate hot beverages.
- Pricey than others.
- Requires delicate cleaning.
6. Corn Plastic Mugs
Corn plastic mugs, or polylactic acid (PLA), are renewable materials made from bioplastic, corn, cassava, sugarcane, sugar beet, or tapioca root. These transparent mugs come in different shapes and sizes, suitable for cold beverages. For cups, lids, straws, and containers, this makes them the perfect medium for 3D printing, gift stores, a variety of eateries, and events.
Capacity: 10.5 oz
- Eco friendly
- Sustainable and renewable Material.
- Higher cost than petroleum-based plastics.
- Hot beverages have heat resistance restrictions.
- Limited availability potential.
7. Polypropylene Mugs
Polypropylene mugs are crafted from a sturdy plastic polymer known as polypropylene. These mugs come in various designs, like cylindrical or tapered, with ergonomic handles for secure hold. Additionally, these mugs are ideal for serving cold drinks like juice or soda during picnics or barbecues.
Capacity: 1500 ml
- Eco-friendly materials.
- At high temperatures, oxidation or chain degradation occurs.
- Affected by UV degradation.
8. Acrylic or Plastic Coffee Mugs
Double-walled plastic or acrylic mugs work well for keeping hot or cold drinks like juice, soda, or water. They even have superior shatter-resistant capabilities than glass or ceramic mugs. Moreover, they are affordable, making them ideal for trade show giveaways.
- Highly shatter resistant
- Stains appear easily.
- Plastic absorbs the taste, so the beverage should remain the same.
9. Stainless Steel Coffee Mugs
Stainless steel mugs are derived from stainless steel, which is well-known for its corrosion resistance, durability, temperature-sensitive, and recyclability. Moreover, they come with a lid and handle to prevent the drink from spilling and are considered travel mugs for comfortable use.
Capacity: 350 ML
- Safe and healthier
- Quite expensive.
- Able to change the taste.
- Not Microwave friendly.
10. Melamine Coffee Mugs
Melamine is a manufactured material that is lightweight, durable, and unbreakable with various color schemes. They are even affordable, making them the perfect addition to any kitchen staple. However, these mugs are also very handy to keep in the dishwasher.
Capacity: 325ml, with 100x88cm size
- Dishwasher safe
- Heat resistant
- Easy to clean
- Avoid serving acidic foods that may lead to melamine migration.
- When exposed to high heat, melamine melts, which risks leakage into food and drinks.
11. Wheat Straw Mugs
Wheat Straw mugs are a sustainable material made from biodegradable wheat straw and polypropylene (PP) plastic. With heat resistance up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, these mugs becomelight-enriched and have a natural aesthetic, ideal for tea, hot cocoa, coffee, and juice. These mugs also feature C-Grip handles for a comfortable drinking experience, adding perfect applicability to plates, dinnerware, and cutlery.
Capacity: 4.5 x 3.55 inches, approximately 16 oz. Capacity.
- Beverage versatility is provided.
- Food grade material.
- BPA free
- Not as heat resistant as plastic straws.
- Unsuitable for high-temperature beverages.
12. Stoneware Coffee Mugs
Stoneware mugs, crafted handmade, come in diverse styles and designs. These mugs are durable, well-insulated, long-lasting, freckled appearance, and smudge-proof. Due to their denser build and heavier weight, these mugs even retain hot temperatures than ceramic mugs. Moreover, their compatibility makes them dishwasher-friendly and versatile for use in the oven.
Capacity: 100 to 200ml
- Chipping resistant
- Scar disability
- Easy to clean.
- If they are dropped or misplaced, easily brittle and break.
- Unsuitable for on-the-go or outdoor activities.
- Photo Mugs
- Soup Mugs
- Regular mugs
- Travel mugs
- Diner Mugs
- Tall Mugs
- Campfire Mugs
- Cappuccino Mugs
- Mugs With Lids
- Mugs With Spoons
- Classic mugs
- Demitasse/ Espresso mugs
13. Photo Mugs
Photo mugs are especially a perfect way to add an individual touch, imprint memories, and relive favorite photo scenes with every sip. With various forms, these mugs also contribute to perfect customization for birthdays, weddings, new babies, and gifting occasions.
Capacity: 330ml (based on image format, print area of 7.5 x 5.8 cm, 9.8 x 7.5 cm, or 19.0 x 9.5 cm)
- Microwave and dishwasher safe.
- Suitable for left and right-handers.
- Appropriate for various occasions.
- Restricted image capacity.
- Fragile and broken
- Tendency to fade image.
14. Soup Mugs
Soup mugs, come individually or in sets, have flatter/shorter and wider than the typical coffee mug. This mug makes a great addition to a generous serving of soup along with stews, chili, and other spoonable or comfort foods. Additionally, being versatile, they are also used in ice cream. However, you are apt to cupping with both hands as you enjoy the last sip of broth.
Capacity: Soup bowls hold 300–500 ml (10–17 oz).
- Versatile for various foods.
- Comfortable grip.
- Not easily portable.
15. Regular Mugs
The regular coffee mug has become perfect for everyday use as a larger version of the classic coffee mug. These mugs’ shapes and designs are similar to the traditional mug but differ in size. However, these mugs provide a comfortable serving size for cold or hot beverages such as tea, coffee, or hot chocolate.
Capacity: 240–350 ml (8–12 US fl oz; 8.3–12.5 imp fl oz)
- Easy to hold
- Prone to break chip, crack, or break.
- It may feel warm to the touch.
- Larger ceramics have limited heat retention.
16. Travel Coffee Mugs
Travel mugs with cylindrical shapes and leakproof lids, crafted from double-walled stainless steel or insulating materials, are ideal for long-distance journeys. Whether hiking, commuting, camping, on beach trips, working, picnics, or traveling, these mugs keep your drinks hot or cold for longer periods. Even many travel mugs offer dishwasher safe, ensuring you to worry-free cleaning.
Capacity: Travel mugs come in 12, 16, and 20 oz sizes but can be found in 6 oz as small and 24 oz as large.
- Capable of reducing waste.
- Capable of keeping beverages at the correct temperatures for longer periods.
- Due to insufficient sealing and air leakage, large travel mugs lose heat quickly.
17. Diner Style mugs
These classic dinner mugs, made of white porcelain, are characterized by being thick-walled, narrower in the middle, and often smaller than regular ceramic mugs. They are known as Victor Mug, the authentic version originating in the USA. However, with their sturdy handles, these mugs give you a comfortable grip, making them suitable for serving cappuccinos, coffee cocktails, espresso shots, etc.
- Robust and long-lasting construction
- Classic and timeless design
- Comfortable grip with a sturdy handle.
- Various sizes available
- It easily breaks or chips.
- Less design and color options exist.
- It may appear heavy to some users.
18. Tall Mugs
Tall mugs are versatile and suitable for enjoying hot and cold beverages, especially coffee, tea, milk, and iced drinks. These mugs come with a slim and elongated shape exhibiting a distinct aesthetic.
Capacity: Holds approximately 28 ounces.
- Prevent spills.
- The larger ability for enough serving.
- Suitable for cold and hot beverages.
- Heat retention differs.
- Prone to tipping.
19. Campfire Mugs
Ceramic, stainless steel, and plastic are the main materials used to make superior campfire mugs. These mugs feature a glossy granite finish and a trendy stained exterior resembling a fire’s ashes. BPA-free and attractive, these mugs are perfect for year-round enjoyment while retaining the beverage heat and keeping the flavor of camping coffee intact.
- Perfect for the outdoors.
- Campfires enhance the cozy environment.
- Capable of transferring flavor.
20. Cappuccino Mugs
According to the Istituto Nazionale Espresso Italiano, the perfect cappuccino mug is crafted from china with a thick-walled, elliptical bottom for optimum heat retention. These mugs often come with a matching saucer plate for an appealing charm and tradition. These mugs are designed for espresso-based drinks such as cappuccinos or lattes, as well as whipped cream, milk, sugar, syrups, and even smoothies.
- Optimal heat retention
- Elegant and stylish
- Reduce spilling
- Limited size capacity
- Susceptible to staining
21. Mugs With Lids
Mugs with lids are an ideal medium for traveling or outdoor use. They come in a variety of sizes and are composed of ceramic, stainless steel, or plastic materials. Moreover, the lid of this mug contributes to keeping your drink hot longer and preventing spills.
Capacity: 12 to 16 ounces
- Easy to recycle.
- Excess of waste reduces production.
- Thoroughly lid cleaning can be trickier.
- Some lids are partially leak proofing.
22. Mugs With Spoons
Mugs with spoons are often similar to regular mugs but come with a built-in holder or slot for a spoon. They are specially designed to add a touch of honey to your tea or to enjoy the sweetness of a little more sugar. Moreover, these mini spoons are perfect for stirring, enhancing the flavor of your serving.
- Easy to stir.
- Adding extra flavor.
- Extra cleaning consistency.
- Spoons are prone to getting lost over time or forgotten.
23. Classic Mugs
The versatile traditional coffee mug is effortlessly suitable for use in the office, coffee shop, or at home. These mugs are made of ceramic, stone, or glass, typically holding around 8 ounces of coffee. Accordingly, these mugs are ideal for accommodating your favorite beverage in a coffee, pour-over, or French press.
Capacity: 8 to 15oz
- Easy to clean.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Appropriate for various settings.
- Potential for disruptive breakdown.
- Limited portability.
24. Tumblers Mugs
Tumbler mugs are derived from stainless steel, combining travel’s best features and classic mugs. These mugs feature a classic mug shape but are taller in size, with travel lids, and fit easily inside cup holders. Additionally, they come in different sizes, most of which have a capacity of 20 ounces and help keep drinks hot for longer.
Capacity: Tumblers have to consider 16oz, but 20oz, 30oz, and 40oz options appear to be available.
- Prevent spillage.
- Durable and sturdy.
- Design options are limited.
25. Demitasse/ Espresso Mugs
Espresso mugs, called demitas, are primarily designed to enjoy espresso shots. With a capacity of approximately two ounces, these mugs are characterized by a wide base and a small opening. Additionally, these tiny mugs help preserve the heat and enhance the aroma of your drink. These mugs even contribute to your comfort during your relaxation time.
Capacity: 50-100 ml.
- Enhancing aroma.
- Suitable for espresso shots.
- Able to retain heat.
- Fragility tends to occur in subtle forms.
- Limited size capacity.
- Microwave safe
- Pour over coffee mugs
- Double-walled coffee mugs
26. Vintage Mugs
Vintage coffee mugs made in the 1950s or earlier. These mugs often feature nostalgic designs or different patterns. Therefore, they make a comfortable medium for serving hot or cold beverages.
- Unique designs are available.
- Nostalgic appeal.
- Delicate and prone to breakage.
- Dishwasher compatibility is limited.
27. Microwave Safe Mug
The most premium materials for manufacturing microwave-safe coffee mugs include ceramic, BPA-free plastic, and glass. These mugs are primarily intended for the easy heating or warming of liquids. However, this allows you to contribute to a comfortable enjoyment by relieving you of the risk of frequent beverage heating.
- Eco friendly.
- Easy to clean.
- Prone to break.
- Material restrictions.
28. Pour Over Coffee Mugs
Pour-over coffee is made specifically to be brewed directly into the mug. These mugs have heat-resistant glass bodies and patent-pending ceramic quilted pour-over patterns. These mugs have a built-in area to hold coffee grounds or ta leaves, enabling filtered pouring of hot water. However, you can appreciate a full-flavored brew by pouring it over a coffee mug without compromising the taste.
Capacity: 5 or 10 cups
- Enjoy exceptional flavor in every cup.
- Possible to spill.
- Required careful manual pouring.
29. Double Walled Coffee Mugs
The double-walled coffee mug tends to be handless, offering a sleek appearance that doesn’t feel too hot to hold. As a result, the optical appearance of coffee floating inside these clear double-walled mugs is intriguing. However, they accommodate your choice of serving hot beverages such as coffee or tea.
Capacity: 16 fl-oz
- Higher quality appearance.
- Durable and stronger.
- Heat protective insulation.
- Not suitable for all coffee shops and roasters.
- Often not mentioned as recycling.
- Traditional arts
- Gold Plated
- Personalized mugs
30. Footed Mugs
Footed mugs have a small or large layer extending to the bottom of the mug with a sophisticated and elegant look. These mugs are perfect for serving coffee, hot chocolate, or tea and are also considered stylish vessels for sorbet or ice cream. Additionally, they are suitable as Microwave and dishwasher safe.
Capacity: Holds 14 ounces and 5 to ¾ inch high.
- Superior grip.
- Sophisticated and stylish appearance.
- Limited availability.
- Differ to stack.
31. Traditional Arts
Traditional mugs constitute pieces of art and craft having a specific theme, such as royal lineage, tradition, culture, country, history, or region. And the decorative motifs and patterns on these traditional mugs add an aesthetic touch to enjoying hot beverages like coffee or tea.
Capacity: 8 to 12 fluid ounces (240 to 350ml).
- Creative elegance.
- Cultural significance.
- Limited convenience.
- The cost range is high.
- Fragile possible.
32. Novelty Mugs
Noble Coffee Mugs, an online platform, offers a variety of captivating designs, like camera lenses or self-stirring cups, appealing to novelty-seeking customers. Therefore, these remarkable mugs cater to diverse interests with various shapes and sizes, from animal shapes to cartoon characters, jokes, and phrases. Even a delightful daily addition, suitable for gifting and sparking conversations.
Capacity: 12 oz/350 ml
- Capable of sparking conversations and interactions.
- Enhance the mood with uplifting and creative aesthetics.
- Usage is limited to daily necessities.
- Elaborate designs cause durability issues.
33. Gold Plated
Gold-plated mugs often feature luxurious and elegant designs with a touch of abundance. These mugs come in various sizes, contributing to formal settings or special occasions such as anniversaries, weddings, or other celebrations. Moreover, they also contribute to impressing the guests at your party.
- Suitable for special occasions.
- Luxurious elegance.
- Required delicate care and maintenance.
- Get tarnished.
34. Personalized Mugs
Personalized mugs are derived from shapes, from classic to unique designs. They are a great way to express your concern for someone or to personalize any occasion. Therefore, you can keep these mugs as gifts for weddings, birthdays, Christmas, or other occasions. However, regardless of Material or type, you can customize your mugs with your desired photos, messages, or names.
Capacity: 200ml, 4.5inch (height) in size.
- Able to support personal style and preferences.
- Suitable for special occasions.
- Designed longevity based on customization.
- They are expensive compared to standard mugs.
- Tiny handle
- Carabiner handle
As a popular mug style, this round “C” shaped handle mug provides satisfaction in daily use. This C-handle makes it easy to grip your mug to prevent it from slipping out of your hand. Therefore, this helps you to enjoy your tea and coffee comfortably and is suitable for all occasions.
Capacity: 12 ounce/350 ml
- Easy to handle.
- Comfort to grip.
- Prone to handle breakage.
- Grip options are limited.
O-handle mugs feature a rounded handle with an entire loop. The shape of these mugs offers a comfortable grip and stability. Therefore, this makes them a practical and stylish way to effortlessly enjoy hot drinks like tea or coffee.
Capacity: 8 to 12 fluid ounces.
- Comfortable to grip.
- Increased stability while drinking.
- Heat transfer possibility.
- Harder to stack when stored.
37. Tiny Handle
Small-handle mugs are smaller in size than standard mugs and have compact handles. They are mainly designed to comfortably hold hot drinks like coffee or tea and keep them warm while sipping.
Capacity: 8 to 10 ounces.
- Suitable for small servings.
- Easy to handle.
- Capacity limitations exist.
- Possibly fragile handles.
39. Carabiner Handle
Mug with stainless steel carabiner handle, featuring a red carabiner handle. This mug is hooked to the outside of a backpack to conserve space and make it easier to access.
- Compatible with outdoor companions.
- Convenient as on-the-go.
- Not suitable for hot beverages.
- Handle shows breakage under heavy load.
Different mugs have unique qualities, styles, and sizes, which will enhance the experience of any drink. But the different types of mug will be effective based entirely on how you drink. For example, from a pair of espresso cups for dinner parties to ceramic mugs for office projects, stainless steel mugs for travel, and traditional art mugs for displaying culture and history. They even contribute significantly to the elegance and aesthetics of your kitchen.
However, I hope the above information helps you choose the comfortable and amazing mug you prefer.
You May Also Like to Read:
- Different Types of Bowl Shapes and Their Uses
- Different Types of Dinnerware and Their Uses with Picture
- What is the Induction Cookware Symbol?
- What is Wheat Straw Dinnerware?
- Collins Glass Vs Highball- Which is Best for Serving Drinks?