Last Updated on September 23, 2023 by Amanda P. Brown
Kabuli Pulao, originating from Afghanistan, is a fragrant rice dish renowned for its exquisite blend of flavors. It combines tender chunks of meat, aromatic spices, and sweet raisins. Thus, it generates a flavor and texture symphony. Discover the magic of this beloved dish by exploring the recipe below.
One of the incredible Afghani traditional rice recipes is Kabuli Pulao. It is also known as Qabuli Palaw. This Afghani dish is very popular in Asian countries, especially in Pakistan. They often set this recipe on special occasion menus such as weddings or other festivals. It’s a wonderful fusion of pulao, which embraces meat with various spices. Its brilliant-rich taste will amaze you with every bite.
Keywords: Kabuli Pulao
Recipe Yield: 4- 5
Calories: 1 cup serving (199g) = 348
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1.5 - 2 hours
Total Time: 2.5 - 3 hours
- Basmati rice: 2 cups
- Chicken, Lamb, or beef (usually in chunks): 1lb (450 gm)
- Carrots: 2 medium
- Onions: 2 medium
- Almonds: 1/4 cups
- Raisins: ¼ cups
- Cooking oil or ghee (clarified butter): ¼ cups
- Spices (including cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, and cloves): as desired
- Salt and black pepper: according to taste
- Wash and then let Basmati rice soak for 30 minutes. Boil water, cook rice 70-80% done, and then drain.
- Brown meat chunks in oil. Sauté onions till translucent.
- Add spices, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Pour water to simmer till the meat is tender.
- Carrot-Raisin-Almond Mix: Sauté carrot till slightly soft. Then, Add raisins almonds, sauté till plump.
- Begin with partially cooked rice, and add cooked meat with juices. Top with sautéed mixture. Layer again with rice.
- Cover tightly, cook 30-40 mins on low. Flavors meld, and rice finishes cooking through steam.
- Thus, your Kabuli pulao is ready.
How to serve:
- Fluff rice, garnish with saffron. Serve with yogurt sauce. Plate individual portions of rice, meat, and sautéed mix. Enjoy Kabuli Pulao’s richness.
You May Also Like to Read:
- Is There Dairy in Donuts? What You Need to Know
- How Long Can Uncooked Dressing Stay in Fridge?
- 21 Fruits That Start With T
- 10 Substitute for Pastry Brush – Pro Food Recipes
- 20 Nutritious Veggies That Start With M