Last Updated on December 2, 2022 by Amanda P. Brown
If you are planning to remodel/renovate a kitchen, you must be worried about how to save money. Saving money on remodeling kitchen cabinets can be very tough. Whatever you want in your dream kitchen, the cost of the kitchen is often higher than the expected budget.
For example, A typical kitchen, for instance, may cost anything from $4,000 to $13,000. Such a large number during a kitchen estimate can deter customers from buying cabinets or remodeling.
Therefore, you need to know tips to save money on kitchen cabinets. Let’s take a look below about this topic:
9 Wise Tips to Save Money on Kitchen Cabinets
Table of Contents
1. Comparison of Door Styles
Usually, the door style can dramatically change your cabinets’ price. If you want to save money on your kitchen cabinets, keep 2 or 3 options and spend accordingly. However, inset door styles and raised panels are always expensive. Also, Shaker-style doors are often less costly, but only sometimes. This varies based on the cabinetmaker.
Moreover, slab door fronts are generally less expensive across the board, which is best for affluent homeowners designing a contemporary or modern kitchen.
2. Open Shelves
Choosing open shelving is a great way to save money. It also requires less material to construct, which is a great option to save money. The simplicity of open shelving can also be a breath of fresh air for you. So you can choose open shelves for your kitchen cabinets.
3. Select Cost-Effective Wood Species
Generally, choosing affordable wood species can save you money. Also, the price of the wood species is determined by the cabinetmaker. So if you are looking for the most affordable and long-lasting wood species, you can ask your local cabinet shop.
However, if you are considering hardwood options for your kitchen cabinets, check out the following:
- Red Oak Cabinets: Red oak is long-lasting, hard, and relatively low-cost for wooden kitchen cabinets. It is often used in classic cabinet designs. This wood is also an alternative for custom-, semi-custom, and stock-made cabinets.
Moreover, the color of oak kitchen cabinets varies between dark brown and light tan. It is appropriate for most stains but does especially well with red and yellow-toned stains.
- Maple Cabinets: Maple wood is known for its fine texture and smooth and durable uniform grain. It is significantly less expensive than other natural woods. It is also a good choice for your kitchen due to its versatility. However, Maple has a smoothness and grain, which makes it suitable for stain and paint.
- Alder Cabinets: Alder is relatively cost-effective compared to other types of wood. Because it is a middle-grade wood, also, alder is an excellent choice for those who want to stain their kitchen cabinets with dark and warm tones.
- Particle Board: It is cost-effective over medium-density fiberboard or plywood. It is also efficiently handled and transported due to the lightweight properties of particle boards. Also, one of its significant advantages is that it is ecologically and economically friendly
4. Consider Thermofoil or Laminate
Laminate and thermofoil are both great budget-friendly alternatives. However, thermofoil is a kind of plastic finish that is applied to other kinds of engineered wood core or medium-density fiberboard. It is durable and simple to clean.
It is also significantly less expensive than wood. On the other hand, laminate is also much less costly than wood. It is more sensitive to moisture. Although it is not as strong as wood, it holds well over time.
There is, therefore, something you need to consider if you’re investing in thermofoil or laminate cabinetry. Buy thermofoil or laminate cabinets; you must consider something. It would be best if you placed a delamination heat shield near your range. Also, you might want a sink mat or an all-plywood sink base for added protection against moisture.
5. Do Without the Full-Extension Slide and Soft-Close Drawer
Skipping simple upgrades like full-extension slides and soft-close drawers can save you money. You try pulling doors instead of soft-close drawers and full-extension slides. This could be a much more inexpensive option for you. It could also help maintain the structural integrity of drawer and door fronts.
6. Say No to Pullouts
You must ensure that the added benefit is worth your cost if it is not worth your price. Then any trash bin, pullout, magic corner, or sliding shelf will increase your expenses. In this case, plan to put your trash bin elsewhere.
7. Less Customization
Generally, the less information you choose, the lower you will pay. However, crown molding, corbels, matching end panels, decorative legs, glass door fronts, and more are surprisingly expensive, which is a way to increase your cost.
8. Never Add a Glaze to Your Stain or Paint
If you have decided to stain or paint your cabinets, then refrain from glazing them because a glaze is expensive for kitchen cabinets since it is more than needed. So take it off the table without hesitation.
9. Choose More Doors and Fewer Drawers
Suppose you want to save money. Then incorporate fewer drawers into your design because drawers cost more than base cabinets. Also, you can choose more doors like Maple, which will save you money.
Which Ten Steps Are Involved in Organizing Kitchen Cabinets?
In order to organize kitchen cabinets, follow these 10 steps:
- Maximize your cabinet capacity.
- Put together like items.
- Apply cabinet dividers.
- Keep heavy items under cabinet shelves.
- Use circle storage organizers.
- Insert drawer organizers.
- Use the pot.
- Maximize the vertical space.
- Remove the cabinet doors.
- Use the outer part of the cabinet.
Read More: Best Water Bottle Storage Ideas
What Percent of the Kitchen Budget Should Be Cabinets?
30-35% of the kitchen budget should be cabinets. Typically, the cost of a kitchen can add up quickly, and determining how much to spend on each component can take time and effort. However, the cost of every renovation is different. Kitchen cabinets can take up 30-35% of your remodeling budget. However, a variety of variables go into arriving at this figure.
- Custom-shaped or custom-sized cabinets.
- The cabinet style you choose, such as shaker-style or glass front.
- The kind of cabinet you choose, such as open shelves or upper cabinets.
Moreover, Cabinets are more important, so they should be higher on the priority list. Cabinets are also particular storage options. Additionally, if you are thinking about saving money, you shouldn’t skip cabinet material altogether to save money.
How Can I Create My Inexpensive Cabinets Appear More Expensive?
Here are some steps to make your cheap cabinet look more expensive:
- Replace the cabinet door.
- Add the window treatment.
- Change the lighting.
- Update the hardware.
- Use the artwork.
- Style your breakfast.
- Use light colors.
- Paint your equipment with stainless steel.
- Replacing an old decorative element.
- Hide small equipment.
How Much Does Remodeling a Kitchen Price?
The costs of remodeling a kitchen are:
Kitchen Renovation Costs
|$15,000 to $30,000
|Mid Range Renovation
|$30,000 to $55,000
|Higher End Renovation
How Kitchen Cabinets Add the Most Value to a Kitchen?
The Kitchen Appears Stylish
The main advantage of having kitchen cabinets is that they will make your kitchen looks more stylish. It also gives you the design and color you have always dreamed of for your kitchen. Kitchen cabinets also provide superior design, style, and storage, making your kitchen more attractive.
Makes the Kitchen Spacious
Kitchen cabinets will raise your kitchen space. It improves your storage area. Also, you can keep your dishwasher, groceries, and more. It also saves you time and storage space in your home.
Choose according to your wish: You can select the available space and things at your convenience.
- Saves Money: According to your budget, you can send. According to your budget, you can create and modify the things you need. Buying fewer kitchen cabinets is a great way to cut costs.
What is the Most Costly Part of Remodeling Kitchens?
The most costly aspect of kitchen remodeling is the cabinetry. On average, this can cost you around $15,000 or more. Also, in a complete kitchen remodel project, they account for about 20-40% of the total budget.
However, for most homeowners, this amount accounts for the bulk of their budget. So, you have to manage them wisely; otherwise, it can cost you a lot of money.
What Items Are Inappropriate for Kitchen Cupboards?
The following items are not suitable for your kitchen cabinets:
- Serving Trays
- Appliances You Use Daily
- Outdoor Serving Pieces
- Party Décor
- Open Food Containers
- The Bottom Line
What is the Least Expensive Material for Kitchen Cabinets?
Melamine is the cheapest material for kitchen cabinets. Melamine is the finest option if you’re looking for the least expensive substitute. Also, this melamine material is made with wood chips bonded and soaked with synthetic resin. Also, after, which is narrowed down to form the board.
Read More: Wok VS Frying Pan – Which One to Use?
How to Choose Kitchen Cabinets for Cyber Monday sales?
Here are some steps to selecting kitchen cabinets for Cyber Monday sales:
- Evaluate the various kinds of kitchen cabinets obtainable.
- Collect inspiration from home décor blogs and kitchen designs.
- Consider your kitchen’s layout and style.
- Evaluate multiple sizes and finishes of kitchen cabinets.
- Final Purchase.
- Shop around and make price comparisons from various retailers.
How Much Are Kitchen Cabinets?
The prices of kitchen cabinets are:
- Stock Cabinets: This is the least expensive cabinet, about $60 to $200 for each linear foot.
- Semi-Custom Cabinets: Semi-custom cabinets will run you between $100 and $650 for each linear foot.
- Custom Cabinets: Usually, custom cabinets cost between $500 to $1,200 per linear foot.
If you plan a proper budget-friendly kitchen that can save you money, it is best to consult kitchen experts to set up your kitchen cabinets. However, in the above article, I have discussed 9 Tips to Save Money on Kitchen Cabinets. I Hope now you’ll be able to set up your kitchen cabinets more efficiently and for less money.
You May Also Like to Read:
- How to Take Care of Ants in the Kitchen?
- Juicer Vs Blender Vs Food Processor
- Can You Put Glass in an Air Fryer?