Last Updated on August 6, 2022 by Amanda P. Brown
Chinese are always well known to the world for their different culture and food habits. Their foods are always tasty and flavorful. But some people always consider Chinese foods unhealthy and harmful for their health. People who think that Chinese foods are unhealthy will prove wrong after trying our following healthy Chinese food recipes. Our listed healthy Chinese food recipes are tasty and also easy to cook yet.
10-Best Healthy Chinese Food Recipes:
Table of Contents
However, healthy food means eating such food, which gives a balanced nutrient to maintain health and keeps you energetic all day long. These nutrients mainly include carbohydrates, minerals, protein, vitamins, fat, fiber and water.
Therefore, here we have made a list of the 10-best healthy Chinese food recipes, which are very beneficial for their nutritious value and divine in the test.
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Egg Fried Rice
- Baked General Tso Chicken
- Avocado Egg Rolls
- Cream Cheese Wontons
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Easy Lo Mein
- Green Bean Turkey Rice Bowl
- Summer Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Homemade Fortune Cookies
1. Healthy Chinese Chicken Egg Fried Rice
Chinese chicken egg fried rice is also known as Chao Fan to local people. It is the most common street food in many provinces of China. The recipe is very simple and easy to cook within 15 minutes.
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Chicken Breast
- 2 Cm Fresh Ginger
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 Cup Chopped Thawed, Frozen Vegetables
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Well Chopped Parsley
- ¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- For Chao fan, first of all, heat a pan and add 1-tbsp oil to the pan. Then fry small chicken pieces on high heat with pepper and salt until the chicken is cooked. And then put them aside from the pan.
- Put the beaten egg into the frypan and scramble. Then take away the egg from the pan.
- Again, add some oil to the pan and add chopped garlic, spring onions and ginger. Then stir fry for few seconds. Also, add vegetables, egg, cooked rice and chicken, and mix well.
- Combine the soy sauces, sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil and mix well in a small bowl and then add other ingredients. And finally, serve with fresh chopped parsley.
Nutrition (amount per serving):
- Carbohydrates 63g
- Cholesterol 63g
- Protein 40g
- Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 14g)
- Fiber 5g
- Sodium 2332mg
- Calcium 87mg
- Sugar 3g
- Iron 3mg
- Vitamin C 18mg
- Vitamin a 52321 iu
- Potassium 834mg
- Calories 261
2. Baked General TSO Chicken
Baked general TSO chicken is a very popular delicious, healthier Chinese food. It is often served with main dishes and, on almost every occasion, this food is welcomed delightfully.
- 1 pound Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cup Crushed Cornflakes
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2-large Egg
- ¾ Cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ Cup All-purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- ½ Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch Dissolved in Water
- 11/2 Tsp Sriracha Sauce
- 11/2 Tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- For general TSO chicken, we need to preheat the oven up to 450ºF. Then take a large cooking tray covered with parchment paper.
- We need to place 3-large bowls one by one and fill them with flour, eggs, and crushed cornflakes. They will make the coating for the dish.
- At this time, dip every chicken piece in egg and flour. Cover the chicken pieces with crushed cornflakes and place them on the cooking tray. And then bake for about 13 minutes till the chicken is cooked.
- Put the rest above mentioned ingredients (without cornstarch) in a medium-sized container for the sauce and bring to boil. After that, give cornstarch and water a quick stir, put the sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then take out the chicken from the oven, put it in a pan, turn on the heat to low, and then pour sauce over the chicken. Then toss them to coat evenly, and finally serve other optional ingredients.
It is just the basics of the TSO chicken, which you can serve with any food. If you like to make a specific flavored dish, just add some seasoning and ingredients you like.
Nutrition (per serving):
- Protein 32.7g
- Carbs 27.6g
- Fat 6.3g (Saturated Fat 1.6g)
- Sugar 8.5g
- Sodium 420mg
- Fiber 1g
- Calories 305
3. Avocado Egg Rolls
Avocado egg rolls are one of the most popular Chinese food. It is a very delicious healthy food.
- 3 Avocados, Peeled, Halved and Seeded
- 8-Egg Roll Wrappers
- 1-Garlic Clove
- 1-Roma Tomato, Diced
- 1-lime (Juice)
- 1-cup Vegetable Oil
- 2-tbsp Chopped Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 2-tbsp Mayonnaise
- ¾ Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves, Loosely Packed
- Black Pepper and Kosher Salt (According to Taste)
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Diced Red Onion
- 1-Jalapeno, Deveined and Seeded, Optional
- Combine mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, sour cream, garlic and jalapeno in a bowl to make the cilantro dipping sauce. Pepper and salt are also added according to the taste. And then heat vegetable oil in the dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Then gently mash avocados in a medium bowl and add red onion, lime juice, cilantro, pepper, salt (to taste), tomato and gently toss to combine.
- After that, put the avocado mixture in the middle of each wrapper and fold it on the sides. We need to roll it till we reach the top of the wrapper.
- Then add the egg rolls into the dutch oven and fry them for about 2-3 minutes and serve delicious cilantro dipping sauce.
Nutrition (per 2 mini egg rolls):
- Protein 2g
- Carbs 11g
- Fat 35.3g (Saturated Fat 7.8g)
- Sugar 1.2g
- Sodium 12mg
- Fiber 4.3g
- Calories 324
4. Cream Cheese Wontons
If you are a food lover and follow a good diet, these cream cheese wontons can be a good option. It is a delicious, healthy Chinese food with only 120 calories. Besides, the cheese used in this recipe will foster your appetite.
- Wonton Wrappers or Egg Roll
- ½ Tsp Garlic Pepper
- 4 Oz Regular Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/2 -1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Lemon Pepper
- Heat 1-2 inches of oil on medium heat in a small frying pan and mix ingredients into softened cream cheese.
- Then slice egg roll wrappers into a 4-small square and place this mixture in the middle of the square wrapper. After that, spread water with the finger on the four corners of the wonton wrapper and fold up.
- Last of all, fry this wonton in hot oil and serve with sour and sweet sauce.
- The basic wonton can be served as a good snack or even appetizer with soup and other foods. The lemon pepper used in the recipe makes an excellent test.
Nutrition (per wonton):
- Protein 2.2g
- Carbs 4.2g
- Fat 9.9g (Saturated Fat 6.2g)
- Sugar 0g
- Sodium 84mg
- Fiber 0g
- Calories 120
5. Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef
Slow cooker broccoli beef recipe is very healthy Chinese food. This garlicky/sweet/savory sauce is very impressive.
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch
- 11/2 Pounds Flank Steak, Chopped and Thinly Sliced Into 2-inch Pieces
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- ¼ Tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 2/3 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- Firstly, the grease inside a slow cooker and add beef broth, sesame oil, garlic, steak, soy sauce, chili flakes and brown sugar. We need to cover the whole thing and cook it on low heat for about 4-5 hours. If you have a shorter time, then use high heat for 2-3 hours.
- After that, I need to uncover the slow cooker. No need to jerk corn starch and water in a small bowl until completely dissolved. Again, add a slow cooker and stir and again cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Finally, take a large bowl, fill it with ½ inch of water and put broccoli in it. Then put the lid on in an off-set manner to vent. Again, put it on high heat for 3 minutes in the oven, making the whole effort come to an end.
Notes: add 1-2 tsp of red chili flakes for a bit spicy.
Nutrition (per 1 cup):
- Protein 32.7g
- Carbs 17g
- Fat 11.4g ( saturated fat 4g)
- Sugar 9.9g
- Sodium 544 mg
- Fiber 1.6g
- Calories 304
6. Shrimp Fried Rice
Shrimp holds a specific position in the Chinese food menu. Most of the dishes in mainland China have the option to add shrimp. Shrimp in the fried rice is very delicious and too much healthier food. Besides, it also cheaper and widely available Chinese food like chiro Chao fan. It is not difficult to prepare this dish. Mostly you need to follow the process of chicken fried rice.
- 3-cups Cooked Rice
- 1-onion, Diced
- 2-tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2-minced Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Corn
- 3-tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2-sliced Green Onions
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- Grounded Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt Depending on the Tase
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper
- 1- Pound Medium Shrimp, Deveined and Peeled
- 2-carrots, Grated and Peeled
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
- The primary taste enhancer of this recipe is the sauce mixture. Put soy sauce, ginger powder, sesame oil, and white pepper are whisk together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Then, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Put shrimp and cook until it turns pink. It usually will take about 2-3 minutes. Add some pepper and salt with it for taste.
- It is time to add garlic and onion to the pan and fry for about 3-4 minutes. Carrots, peas and corn constantly stirring about 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- The mixture of soy sauce and other ingredients need to add in this stage. Also need to add green onions and rice. We need to cook and stir it constantly for about a couple of minutes. Stir the fried shrimp in and then serve.
Nutrition (per 1 cup):
- Protein 19.7g
- Carbs 49.7g
- Fat 8.3g (Saturated 1.2g)
- Sugar 2.6g
- Sodium 428mg
- Fiber 4g
- Calories 348
7. Easy Lo Mein
Easy Lo Mein is also known as egg noodles in the outer world. This easy Chinese Lo Mein is also a popular food for its wide availability. And it takes no effort to cook yet.
- 8 ounces of spaghetti noodles
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 8-sliced and cleaned ounces of mushrooms
- 1/2- tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup snow peas
- 1-minced garlic clove
- 2-medium sized carrots. Peel and cut into slices about 1 inch
- 3-tbsp coconut amino or soy sauce
- Take a 3-quart pot of water to boil and cook noodles with olive oil for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- After that, put 1-tbsp olive oil in a big pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and carrots and cook from 3 to 5 minutes, till it tenders. Then Stir peas and cook it for about 3-more minutes.
- Then stir ginger, honey, soy sauce or amino, teriyaki sauce, and sriracha sauce. Then Pour them into a large pan and add drained noodles to the vegetables and mixture sauce. Finally, Easy Lo Mein is ready for eating.
Note: You can keep this food in the refrigerator for a few days.
Nutrition (per 1 cup):
- Protein 7.7g
- Carbs 33.3g
- Fat 10.2g (Saturated Fat 1.4g)
- Sugar 11.2g
- Sodium 519mg
- Fiber 3.3g
- Calories 245
8. Green Bean Turkey Rice Bowl Recipe
Green bean turkey rice bowl is a flavorful, quick and healthy Chinese food. This Chinese food is best for dinner.
- 1-cup Medium Grain Rice Uncooked
- 1-teaspoon Crushed Ginger
- 1-pound Ground Turkey
- 1 Tsp Crushed Ginger
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1-pound Chinese Long Beans (if Available) or Trimmed and Washed Green Beans
- 1 Tbsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 1-sliced Thin Small Bunch of Green Onions
- 2-minced Garlic Cloves or Crushed
- 2-tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
- Start cooking rice in salted water.
- Preheat a pan over high heat when rice is done for about 15 minutes. Then Add sauteed green onions, garlic, and sesame oil for about 2 minutes until meat is mostly cooked. Stir in ground turkey for about 3 to 5 minutes and Crumble meat as much as possible.
- Stir in ginger, hoisin sauce, and garlic sauce. After that, add soy sauce and green beans and stir to coat. They are continuously cooking for about 7-9 minutes over high heat and frequently stirring until beans are slightly tender.
- Last of all, Stirring in rice vinegar and cook for a minute and Serve over cooked rice.
The green bean turkey rice bowl is a recipe that mainly contains all the food nutrition in perfect balance. Besides, this recipe can be modified with other protein sources slightly for meat lovers.
Nutrition (per 1 cup):
- Protein 27.2 G
- Carbs 37.1 G
- Fat 13.3 G (Saturated Fat 2.2g)
- Sugar 3.4 G
- Sodium 312mg
- Fiber 4 G
- Calories 387
9. Summer Rolls with Peanut Dipping Sauce
Another low-calorie food on this list is the summer rolls with peanut dipping sauce. This very healthy food comes with only 163 calories.
- 1/4 Cup of Peanut Butter
- 2–3 Tbsp Warm Water
- 2 Tsp of Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Chile-garlic Sauce or Sriracha Sauce, Optional for Spice
- 1-teaspoon Minced or 1-mashed Garlic Clove
- 1-Tbsp of Hoisin Sauce
- Some Spring Roll Rice Paper Wrappers
- 1-sliced Avocado
- 1/2 of a Julienned Large Red Pepper
- 20 Medium Cooked Shrimp, Sliced and Peeled in Half Length-wise
- 1-large Carrot, Julienned and Peeled
- A Handful of Fresh Cilantro (Any Flavor Like Mint, Basil)
- One-third Cup of Chopped Purple Cabbage
- 5-large Half-torn Green Lettuce Leaves
- 1-ounce Cooked Rice Vermicelli (Optional) or Rice Noodles
- 1-large Julienned Cucumber
- Optional for Garnish: Sprinkle of Crushed Peanuts and Red Pepper, Sesame Seeds
- At the first step, we need to add all the ingredients (without optional garnish and water) to a medium bowl—no need to whisk them all together until it smoothens. To get desired thinness, add 1-2 tbsp warm water. Then pour into a serving bowl with garnish.
- Then, prepare the rice paper wrappers and fill the rolls with a sprinkle of cucumber, cabbage, red pepper, and few carrot sticks on the bottom 1/3 of the rice paper. After that, add one or two slices of avocado, a small number of noodles, a bit of cilantro and 4-slices of shrimp.
- Now roll everything tightly. After rolling these, it is ready to serve.
Nutrition (Per roll):
- Protein 12.4g
- Carbs 2.3g
- Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 1.8g)
- Sugar 2g
- Sodium 193g
- Fiber 2.3g
- Calories 163
10. Homemade Fortune Cookies
Fortune cookies are famous across the world. But in festival time, it’s mostly demandable food in mainland China. This Homemade fortune cookies are one of the best healthy Chinese food.
- 3-Egg Whites Room Temperature
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- A Quarter Cup of Water
- 1/2 Cup Salted or Unsalted, Melted Butter
- 1 Tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat the oven up to 375 degrees and then beat the sugar and egg whites using a hand mixer at high speed for 2 minutes. Add melted butter, almond extract, vanilla and water, then mixed them properly. Also, add cornstarch and flour.
- Then spread the batter over the baking sheet into a 3-inch circle and bake these cookies for about 7-8 minutes.
- After baking these cookies, remove them from the oven. Finally, it is ready to serve.
To make things more interesting, you can add various handwritten messages with the cookies while putting the dough in the oven. Children will love it in the occasion time.
Nutrition (per cookie):
- Protein 1g
- Carbs 10.4g
- Fat 2.9g (Saturated Fat 2.4g)
- Sugar 6.3g
- Sodium 32mg
- Fiber 0g
- Calories 79
Traditional Chinese Foods:
China has an age-old tradition and history. And so Chinese has much traditional food as well. These foods are not only tasty but also nutritious. Besides, over time nowadays, people of China also love to bring some changes in traditional food. But they never compromise with their food’s quality and taste.
However, some traditional Chinese food is-
- Scallion Pancakes
- Shrimp Dumpling Soup
- Siu Mai
- Nian Gao
- Seasame Balls
- Char Siu
- Biangbiang Noodles
Most Popular Chinese Food:
Chinese foods are always popular among food lovers. Whatever the country comes from, every food lover at least has one Chinese dish on their all-time favorite food list.
However, here are some popular Chinese food items-
- Dim Sums
- Spring Rolls
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Honey Chili Potatoes
- Szechwan Chili Chicken
- Chicken with Chestnuts
Each of these foods has its own specialty in taste, flavor and nutritional value.
It’s been thousands of years ago when Chinese cuisine was started. But they change their techniques and flavor of foods occasionally by following the regional preferences and surrounding cultures.
However, a large number of authentic Chinese food dishes are healthy because most of them are made of fresh vegetables and sea-fish. Again, some Chinese foods also have medicinal components that help people develop their immune systems and recover from numerous diseases. In this article, I have tried to put forward some healthy Chinese food recipes of my own choice. You can try any of them for sure.
You May Also Like to Read: